ERG SES F 04, Parallel Session F 04
The aim of this researchis to examine the abstract operation thinking stage of the adolescents at the age of between eleven and sixteen. In addition, the effects of gender and age on abstract operation stage were investigated. According to Piaget, the learners are not passive receiver in learning process; rather, they are active participants and sense maker in learning process. There are many different factors that affect cognitive development stage proposed by Piaget. These are maturation (Ault, 1977; Senemoğlu, 2007; Wadsworth, 2004), adaptation ((Bee, 1992; Selçuk, 2004), organization (Wadsworth, 2004), equilibrium (Bee ve Boyd, 2004).
Many studies have been conducted to find out the effects of some variables on cognitive development. Gül (2006) tried to find out the effects of age on abstract-concrete thinking abilities. It was found that the older ( 12-13 age) participants did better than the younger ( 8-9) participants. Eldeleklioğlu (2008) investigates the effects of gender and age on time management abilities. it was found that female participants had the skills significantly higher than the male participants. Yalçın and Karakaş (2008) also stated that the age is an important factor that affect cognitive development.
Generally, the effects of gender, age and socio economic status on cognitive developments in regard to different skills has been investigated among researcher. The current study also aims to investigate the effects of gender and age on abstract thinking skills or formal operational stage. Research questions were as follows:
1. What is the effect of gender on participants’ abstract thinking skills?
2. What is the effect of age on participants’ abstract thinking skills?
1. Ault , R. L. (1977). Children’s Cognitive Development Piaget’s Theory and The Process Approach. New York, Oxford Universiy Press, 2. Bee, H. (1992). Cognitive development I: structure and process. The Developing Child. HarperColins College Publishers, 246–285. 3. Bee, H. and Boyd, D. (2003). Life Span development. (Third Edititon). Allyn and Bacon. 4. Öngen, D. (1995). Farklı sosyoekonomik düzeylerden gelen 12-15 yaşlarındaki ergenlerde formel İşlem düşüncesinin gelişim düzeyi” Yayımlanmamış Doktora Tezi. A.Ü.Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Ankara. 5. Selçuk, Z. (2000). Gelişim ve öğrenme. Ankara: Nobel Yayınları. 6. Senemoğlu, N. (2007). Gelişim öğrenme ve öğretim: Kuramdan uygulamaya. Ankara: Gazi Kitabevi. 7. Wadsworth, B.J. (2004). Piaget’s Theory of Cognıtıve and Affective Development. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. 8. Yalçın, K. ve Karakaş, S. (2007). Çocuklarda bilgi işlemedeki üst işlemlerin yaşa bağlı değişimi. Türk Psikiyatri Dergisi, 19(3), 257–265.
00. Central Events (Keynotes, EERA-Panel, EERJ Round Table, Invited Sessions)
Network 1. Continuing Professional Development: Learning for Individuals, Leaders, and Organisations
Network 2. Vocational Education and Training (VETNET)
Network 3. Curriculum Innovation
Network 4. Inclusive Education
Network 5. Children and Youth at Risk and Urban Education
Network 6. Open Learning: Media, Environments and Cultures
Network 7. Social Justice and Intercultural Education
Network 8. Research on Health Education
Network 9. Assessment, Evaluation, Testing and Measurement
Network 10. Teacher Education Research
Network 11. Educational Effectiveness and Quality Assurance
Network 12. LISnet - Library and Information Science Network
Network 13. Philosophy of Education
Network 14. Communities, Families and Schooling in Educational Research
Network 15. Research Partnerships in Education
Network 16. ICT in Education and Training
Network 17. Histories of Education
Network 18. Research in Sport Pedagogy
Network 19. Ethnography
Network 20. Research in Innovative Intercultural Learning Environments
Network 22. Research in Higher Education
Network 23. Policy Studies and Politics of Education
Network 24. Mathematics Education Research
Network 25. Research on Children's Rights in Education
Network 26. Educational Leadership
Network 27. Didactics – Learning and Teaching
The programme is updated regularly (each day in the morning)
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.