00 SES 11, Education, Transition and Contributions from Educational Research: Views from Central Europe
The theme of the conference is ‘Education and Transition - Contributions from Educational Research’. The conference provides the opportunity for critical reflection on the notion of transition in countries where education in general and specifically educational research has been perceived to have contributed to the democratization of a country since 1989. Political, economic and broader social changes of that time had a major impact on national education systems, but also the sphere of education was often a major player in these changes. In many countries, groups from among the students and teaching staff played an important role in the social and political movements. On the other hand, educational researchers supported major structural changes of the national educational system during the period of the so-called transition.
Giving a brief overview of the educational systems, organizations, subsystems and educational reforms the roundtable will shed light on the complex question of the relative low level of engagement of academics and researchers from Central and Eastern European countries in the European Educational Research Space, especially in terms of participation in Europe wide conferences. However, the integration of educational researchers from Central and Eastern Europe in the EERA have gradually strengthened and just in the present period a few more national associations from this region are entering EERA (Croatia, Serbia, Albania). The roundtable will have enough critical, epistemological and intellectual mass to go beyond the structures of traditional East-West division and construct an inclusive discourse around the future of the European Educational Research Space which will address the current unequal distribution of the means of power. Entering into dialogue with the audience the roundtable will aim to develop a public discussion about challenges and constraints that face educational research both within the Central and Eastern European region and across Europe as a whole.. The discussion will be organized around six key issues from the perspective of Estonia, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia and Poland:
- What were the key issues in the process of “educational transition” in 1989/90 in Central and Eastern Europe?
- What was the role of educational research during “the transition”?
- What have been the achievements of this process and the barriers to success?
- What are the key issues and responsibility of education in Central and Eastern Europe today?
- To what extent is educational research in Central and Eastern Europe ready to open up its discourses and networks into a rather unstructured and diverse European and global space?
- What is the future for educational research at a time when the European project is being questioned?
00. Central Events (Keynotes, EERA-Panel, EERJ Round Table, Invited Sessions)
Network 1. Continuing Professional Development: Learning for Individuals, Leaders, and Organisations
Network 2. Vocational Education and Training (VETNET)
Network 3. Curriculum Innovation
Network 4. Inclusive Education
Network 5. Children and Youth at Risk and Urban Education
Network 6. Open Learning: Media, Environments and Cultures
Network 7. Social Justice and Intercultural Education
Network 8. Research on Health Education
Network 9. Assessment, Evaluation, Testing and Measurement
Network 10. Teacher Education Research
Network 11. Educational Effectiveness and Quality Assurance
Network 12. LISnet - Library and Information Science Network
Network 13. Philosophy of Education
Network 14. Communities, Families and Schooling in Educational Research
Network 15. Research Partnerships in Education
Network 16. ICT in Education and Training
Network 17. Histories of Education
Network 18. Research in Sport Pedagogy
Network 19. Ethnography
Network 20. Research in Innovative Intercultural Learning Environments
Network 22. Research in Higher Education
Network 23. Policy Studies and Politics of Education
Network 24. Mathematics Education Research
Network 25. Research on Children's Rights in Education
Network 26. Educational Leadership
Network 27. Didactics – Learning and Teaching
The programme is updated regularly (each day in the morning)
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.