ERG SES H 05, Leadership and Education
This abstract refers to a micro-optic study on transition from state government into leadership in the Danish public school Folkeskolen.
Research question The question is how leaders makes transition between expectations from state government and municipals and into their leadership. An imperative towards change in leadership into learning centered leadership (TALIS 2014) is stated. The question here focuses on laboratories on leader observation in classroom, as a praxis to establish such changes. The question is:
How do leaders transform and perform leader-focus on pupils learning outcome through laboratories to develop this?
Objectives In 2014 Denmark had a new reform with ambitions of improvement in the Danish public school. The Skolereform 2014 states that: The Danish public school is (---) facing significant challenges. The academic standards (---) are not sufficiently high. Danish students perform on the average within the OECD (reform, 7.7.2013;1.). Through this reform, an attention was raised on leader responsibility for pupils learning outcome. This attention is also informed from international research - The effective school research, PISA reports, TALIS reports (2014), and “the miracle” in Ontario, Canada, and New Zealand.
The focus on leader responsibility for pupils learning outcome might have come as a micro-shock (Bjerg 2011). Denmark has a tradition for distributed leadership (Ratner, 2009, Weinreich, 2014). And learning centered leadership had now become a huge topic in Denmark.
A tendency is seen to be, that a respond to the challenge of strengthening learning centered leadership is laboratories on how leaders is to observe in the classroom. From the organizers of the laboratories (consultants and local authority employees) the laboratories are told to be a place to create and experiment with new knowledge and new practices in the school (notes from fieldwork). The laboratories are arranged as sequences of day-courses and invitations to the leaders to experiment in practice with observation in the class room in between the course-days. Experiences and practices is then to be brought back into the next course days to make reflections on. The process is running for three months.
Theoretical framework This is a post-human study putting affective theory and intersectionality to work under the post-human umbrella. The Deleuzian credo inspired by Spinoza on desire to be the primary affect - the hallmark of life and creation (Spinoza 1996) and affect as: A productive force that forms relations between different aspect of an assemblage (Ringrose & Coleman 2013;125) is the framework for analysis and data-collection. Knowledge is created in an onto-epistemoligical optic. That is, knowledge is created without a prescriptive structure or predesigned codes. Knowledge is created with a tension towards raise and fall in intensity when leaders perform leadership in the laboratories.
The theme presented here, is one of four assemblages presented on leadership in my Ph.d. thesis.The assemblage is called Laboratories on leadership observations in classrooms. On definition of assemblage following quote from Deleuze: Assemblage (is) of bodies, of actions and passions, an intermingling of bodies reacting to one another; on the other hand it is a collective assemblage of enunciation, of acts and statements, of incorporeal transformations attributed to bodies (Deleuze & Guattari, 1987/2014; 102).
Leadership is studied as not singular. But as multiply kinds of doings. And leadership is seen as enactment with floating limits,different levels of intensity, different appropriations of a certain habitus (and ---) readiness to act (Raffnsøe, Staunæs, 2014:2).
• Bjerg, H. (2011): Skoling af lyst, Ph.d. monografi, Århus Universitet • Bjerg, H. & Staunæs, D (2011): Appreciative Leadership and shame. Bringing together Governmentality Studies and Affectice Turn, Emphemera, theory and politics in organisations 11(2) • Coleman, R., Ringrose, J.(ed),(2013): Deleuze and research methodology, Edingburgh University Press • Deleuze & Guattari (1987/2014): A thousand plateaus, Bloomsbury • Juelskjær, M., Knudsen, H., Pors J., Staunæs D., 2011: Ledelse af uddannelse, at lede det potentielle, Samfundslitteratur • Raffnsøe, S., Staunæs, D., (2014): Learning to stay ahead of time: moving leadership experiences experimentally, Management & organizational history • Ratner, H. 2009: Skoleledelse i et krydspres. Hvidbog om international forskning inden for skoleledelse, Institut for Ledelse, Politik og Filosofi, CBS • Spinoza, B. (1996): Ethics, Penguin classics • Staunæs D., Adriansen H., Dupret k., Høyrup S., Nickelsen N.C. (2014): Læringslaboratorier og eksperimenter, Århus Universitetsforlag • Weinreich, E. (2014):Hvilke offentlige ledere er der brug for når velfærdstænkningen flytter sig: Er Diplomuddannelsens lederprofil svaret? Ph.d. monografi, CBS
00. Central Events (Keynotes, EERA-Panel, EERJ Round Table, Invited Sessions)
Network 1. Continuing Professional Development: Learning for Individuals, Leaders, and Organisations
Network 2. Vocational Education and Training (VETNET)
Network 3. Curriculum Innovation
Network 4. Inclusive Education
Network 5. Children and Youth at Risk and Urban Education
Network 6. Open Learning: Media, Environments and Cultures
Network 7. Social Justice and Intercultural Education
Network 8. Research on Health Education
Network 9. Assessment, Evaluation, Testing and Measurement
Network 10. Teacher Education Research
Network 11. Educational Effectiveness and Quality Assurance
Network 12. LISnet - Library and Information Science Network
Network 13. Philosophy of Education
Network 14. Communities, Families and Schooling in Educational Research
Network 15. Research Partnerships in Education
Network 16. ICT in Education and Training
Network 17. Histories of Education
Network 18. Research in Sport Pedagogy
Network 19. Ethnography
Network 20. Research in Innovative Intercultural Learning Environments
Network 22. Research in Higher Education
Network 23. Policy Studies and Politics of Education
Network 24. Mathematics Education Research
Network 25. Research on Children's Rights in Education
Network 26. Educational Leadership
Network 27. Didactics – Learning and Teaching
The programme is updated regularly (each day in the morning)
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.