00 SES 03, Past, Present and Future of EERA and ECER. Round Table with Past Presidents and Secretary Generals
In this roundtable some aspects of EERA as an umbrella organisation for educational research in Europe will be discussed. From the outset of the association in 1994 some of the following goals were outlined for the organisation:
• Educational research is at a critical stage of transition from relatively uncoordinated to more coherent activities, intended, among other things, to provide educational research policy makers with a better framework than in the past upon which policy makers can base their decisions. International cooperation is an important element of this strengthening process.
• Every country in Europe has different infrastructures in place for educational research. Countries with weaker infrastructures in this area should be able to benefit from countries with stronger structures. A broadly conceived EERA can play an important role in the related exchange and transfer processes.
• In several countries – France, in particular – education sciences are currently at the centre of an epistemological controversy. EERA could become an important conduit for internationalising such discussions.
• The existing international associations are either specialised in one specific discipline (e.g. psychology) or in one particular area (e.g. adult education). Moreover, there is a need for an umbrella organisation based on a broadly defined, unrestricted concept of educational research.
• The international organisations active in the field of education have a strong need for a discussion partner who can represent the entire field of educational research (this argument was made by the participating representatives of the Council of Europe and the OECD). An umbrella organisation of NERAs [National Educational Research Associations] and SERAs [Specialised Educational Research Associations] could act as such a partner. (The EERA constitution §4, states that ‘national, regional or supra-regional corporation engaged in general educational research, if domiciled in Europe, may become a member’ thus SERA’s are not admitted as members today. )
• Many SERAs are confined to Western Europe. An EERA should try to also bring Eastern Europe into the fold (Gretler, 2007, pp. 176 -177)
In this roundtable issues these same questions will be discussed in light of what future one foresees for the European Educational Research association.
Gretler, A. (2007). The International Social Organisation of Educational Research in Europe: Reviewing the European Educational Research Association as an Example--Facts and Questions. European Educational Research Journal, 6(2), 174-189.
00. Central Events (Keynotes, EERA-Panel, EERJ Round Table, Invited Sessions)
Network 1. Continuing Professional Development: Learning for Individuals, Leaders, and Organisations
Network 2. Vocational Education and Training (VETNET)
Network 3. Curriculum Innovation
Network 4. Inclusive Education
Network 5. Children and Youth at Risk and Urban Education
Network 6. Open Learning: Media, Environments and Cultures
Network 7. Social Justice and Intercultural Education
Network 8. Research on Health Education
Network 9. Assessment, Evaluation, Testing and Measurement
Network 10. Teacher Education Research
Network 11. Educational Effectiveness and Quality Assurance
Network 12. LISnet - Library and Information Science Network
Network 13. Philosophy of Education
Network 14. Communities, Families and Schooling in Educational Research
Network 15. Research Partnerships in Education
Network 16. ICT in Education and Training
Network 17. Histories of Education
Network 18. Research in Sport Pedagogy
Network 19. Ethnography
Network 20. Research in Innovative Intercultural Learning Environments
Network 22. Research in Higher Education
Network 23. Policy Studies and Politics of Education
Network 24. Mathematics Education Research
Network 25. Research on Children's Rights in Education
Network 26. Educational Leadership
Network 27. Didactics – Learning and Teaching
The programme is updated regularly (each day in the morning)
- Search for keywords and phrases in "Text Search"
- Restrict in which part of the abstracts to search in "Where to search"
- Search for authors and in the respective field.
- For planning your conference attendance you may want to use the conference app, which will be issued some weeks before the conference
- If you are a session chair, best look up your chairing duties in the conference system (Conftool) or the app.